News Flash:
I've added a new feature - you can now upload and download GPX files in trip reports. I will add more GPS features in the coming months. Any suggestions, let me know. Also please review the Terms of Use for the Site. Following is an amended paragraph regarding the GPX files.

You could be seriously injured or die when participating in the activities described herein. Content provided by MountainHandbook may be inaccurate or outdated and MountainHandbook makes no claims or warranties, either express or implied, to the accuracy of any Content. In particular, GPS data such as GPS tracks that can be downloaded and used by you or someone else should first be verified by you that it is functional and accurate before being used for any activity. MountainHandbook is not responsible for any loss or injury resulting from inaccurate data. Your use of this site and its Content is at your own discretion and risk. Be aware that nothing can replace your own judgement in pursuing these activities.

Monarch Pass recon works out

Here you will find TR's submitted by members.
Gary Neben
Site Admin

Monarch Pass recon works out

Peaks: Mount Peck 12208, 12195 (Pahlone Peak Quad), Pahlone Peak 12667, Peel Point 12145

Dates: 12/08/2017

Post by Gary Neben » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Start/End Loc: Monarch Pass
Distance/Elevation: 14.6 miles RT/4850 feet elevation gain

Time for my winter gear shake-out trip. Although not technically winter, it’s certainly time to fully changeover any fall holdout gear to its winterized versions. Five degrees sleeping in my truck and 8 degrees at the start - yea, it’s cold up here.

Even though we’ve had a very light snow year so far in Colorado you just never know how things are going to work out. I was at Monarch Pass late afternoon the day before so I was able to recon the area. The ridges looked good, not much snow, so one of my options from the Pass looked like a go for tomorrow. I was purposely looking for hiking along the Divide or its western sides as I figured any wind-blown snow would hamper approaches from the east. Again, hard to tell from the couch with this weird snow year we’re having.

Things went well but the day’s mileage turned out to be a little harder than I wanted. Snow drifts in a few places were energy sappers. I wasn’t sure I was going to tack on Pahlone when I started because of its aspect from 12195, but arriving at 12195 I could see the long 2 mile ridge was mostly bare. The crux of the day, though, was hidden just N of 12195 to “gain” the 12195 - Pahlone saddle. Here there was ¼ mile of knee deep unconsolidated snow in the trees that made me pay for today’s fun.

All in all it was a beautiful day after the cold start, I visited several new peaks, and I reacquainted myself with my winter gear.
01_markup.JPG
02_markup.JPG
03_.JPG
04_.JPG
05_markup.JPG
MtPeck_GPS.JPG
MtPeck.gpx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beauvais Jeanmard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Monarch Pass recon works out

Post by Beauvais Jeanmard » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 pm

I took the tram to the point above the pass once, I count that as an ascent! :lol:

Gary Neben
Site Admin

Re: Monarch Pass recon works out

Post by Gary Neben » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Yep, you did another peak that I didn't - that ranked 11er that's there. :)