Mt Rosa (11,499)

Like to share something without doing a trip report? Share it here!
Beauvais Jeanmard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Mt Rosa (11,499)

Post by Beauvais Jeanmard » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 am

Climbed Mt Rosa 10/11/17, nice long hike in Pike National Forest above North Cheyenne Canon. TH is above Helen Hunt Falls at the 4 way intersection on Gold Camp Rd. You walk maybe a little more than a mile on the closed Gold Camp Rd to a collapsed tunnel, take a trail angling left up and around the tunnel and then on the east side come to a jct. From there it's 5 miles to Mt Rosa up St Mary's Fall trail 624. You go past the falls on the trail to another jct with trail 672 at FS 381,hanging a right on the road for a 100 yards, and then turning left onto 672. Very rugged, washed out trail that switchbacks up to Rosa's Northridge. Once on the ridge, trail follows ridge south til you get to yet another jct and turn left on trail 673, which takes you straight to the summit. Overall, the hike is 12 miles. You get some nice views of the peaks to the east, St Peter's Dome, Cheyenne Mtn, The Horn as you climb. Cook Stove Mtn towers above as you hike 624. Nice looking fortress of rock, a trip for another day. I got a glimpse of Rosa a couple times on 624, a very tiny point covered in trees. 672 also has a lot of switchbacks going up to the ridge. The ridgeline is sorta windswept and bare, but as soon as you make the final climb, you return to the forest. Nice views of Almagre and the southside of Pikes Peak. I tramped through a couple inches of snow on this north aspect, with lion tracks leading the way. Surprisngly, the summit was a rocky barren and I had a good view of Penrose Res and Gold Camp Rd way below. Driving up Gold Camp via Old Stage Rd is an alternative way to do Rosa if you don't want a 12 miler! I had planned to do Cook Stove, but a late start messed that up for me. Great area for hiking, mtn biking, rock climbing and motorcycling.

I have just started peeling back the layers of adventure in this area. Mt Cutler, Mt Muscoco, and Mays Peak are in the bag. An ill fated trip in Jones Park trying to do Garfield and Arthur ended up in failure due to trail re-routes on Bear Creek and extremely heavy fog. I had no idea where I was even with map and compass out. I wasn't looking for an adventure that included rescue. No one likes to turn around, but it was a no brainer. I had to settle for a trip up Mt Cutler and explore the nice Columbine Trail in North Cheyenne Canon Park to salvage the outing. Cutler is 2 miles RT, and Columbine is 8.2 miles out and back. Beautiful scenery in the craggy canon, a must place to visit.

Gary Neben
Site Admin

Re: Mt Rosa (11,499)

Post by Gary Neben » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 pm

I agree, that's a wonderful area to explore. Unfortunately it's a bit far for me to get to on a regular basis to try and do more. I've done the standard high peaks and Vigil and 1 or 2 others, but that's about it. Enjoy!

JBE
Site Admin

Re: Mt Rosa (11,499)

Post by JBE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 am

pretty original and nice to learn about it.