Blanca & Ellingwood 8/15/17

Like to share something without doing a trip report? Share it here!
Beauvais Jeanmard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Blanca & Ellingwood 8/15/17

Post by Beauvais Jeanmard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:54 am

After getting rained out last week, we started the pack in Monday about 1:25 pm to Lake Como! I wasn't prepared for it and suffered tremendously. Add in the fact that I hadn't slept in 17 hours and you get a good picture of how the last couple miles were for me. My partner was strong, but I was dying by the minute and the last mile was just pure agony. Stumbling, bumbling my way up the road. I almost started to cry when I finally saw the lake about 6-6:30 pm. We found a place close by the old hut near the lake, set up camp quickly, hung the food and were sleeping soundly by 8 pm. Camp was noisey with some noobs, but I didn't care, I just wanted sleep. I slept well, but my feet did get cold in upper 30's temps for the night. As far as I know, no bears made a visit to the camp, it was quiet all night. We planned a 5 am start but actually awoke at 5:30 am. At 5:45 am Tuesday, we finally got started and did Blanca first. A forecast of 20% rain at 9:30 am made us decide to do Blanca 1st cause of the more exposure on the ridge, but we never were threatened with any semblance of clouds and summited at 10 am. Slight breeze had my hands cold, but the sun on the ridge kept me comfortable. A quick descent had us on the traverse and got to Ellie by 12 noon. It had been 7 years since I've been here, so I wasn't remembering where the trail was, but it was easy to pick up once we got to the saddle, and we made short work of the gradual climb to the top. Retraced our route down, but angled to the old mine and hit the trail back to the lake. Once at the lake it was a short 10 minute break for me and broke camp and shouldered that heavy pack of mine to stagger, trip and fall back to the place we parked about a mile above the TH. My poor shoulders were screaming with pain, making me stop about every 40 minutes for a 5 minute break. I think it took us about 3 and half to get down. I was so glad to get that pack off and sit in a really comfortable seat. Two peaks and a pack out was a hard day, still suffering a little as I write this, but glad I got those two. After my turn around on Bierstadt last month, I had doubts that I would ever see a summit of a 14er again. A little training and some dogged determination sure did pay off on this one! Boy was I glad I summited, I was in a very good place, so relieved!