News Flash:
I've added a new feature - you can now upload and download GPX files in trip reports. I will add more GPS features in the coming months. Any suggestions, let me know. Also please review the Terms of Use for the Site. Following is an amended paragraph regarding the GPX files.

You could be seriously injured or die when participating in the activities described herein. Content provided by MountainHandbook may be inaccurate or outdated and MountainHandbook makes no claims or warranties, either express or implied, to the accuracy of any Content. In particular, GPS data such as GPS tracks that can be downloaded and used by you or someone else should first be verified by you that it is functional and accurate before being used for any activity. MountainHandbook is not responsible for any loss or injury resulting from inaccurate data. Your use of this site and its Content is at your own discretion and risk. Be aware that nothing can replace your own judgement in pursuing these activities.

FL - Everglades NP HP (Grossman Hammock)

Anything east of CO.
Gary Neben
Site Admin

FL - Everglades NP HP (Grossman Hammock)

Post by Gary Neben » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Grossman Hammock ~10’

Date: 2018/01/01
Start/End Loc: At gated road closure on SW 168th St, several miles east of the high point
Distance/Elevation: 7.6 miles RT/Flat!

Underwhelmed by the high point and its surrounding area, I really can’t say anything encouraging about this summit except that it’s listed as the high point of Everglades Nat’l Park. :roll: It’s located in a NE section of the park, referred to as Grossman Hammock and Chekika. The Park announced in December 2013 that, due to budget realities, the Chekika day use area would remain closed indefinitely. Prior to this closure Chekika was only open seasonally, December to April, due to flooding during the wet season. Access to remaining areas of the NE section of the park via SW 168th St is still open to the public.

Getting to this area is as simple as entering Grossman Hammock into google maps and you’re good to go.

Before going to the park I checked the Everglades NP website’s Alerts and Info sections. I always do this before going to an unfamiliar park because they tend to be good sources of information about temporary closures and that sort of thing. The Chekika area notwithstanding, since that is a known and expected closure, there was no report of additional closures. Indeed, the Info section specifically says that all areas of the park are open after Hurricane Irma.

So I was surprised to see SW 168th St gated to motor vehicles several miles prior to Chekika. After going about ¾ mile beyond the gate you arrive at the park entrance which is also closed with a sign saying it’s due to Hurricane Irma. Go figure. :thinking:

Bottom line is that I had a good workout, running the 7.6 miles out and back from the rental car. Everything’s pretty flat and I walked around the brush areas at the end trying to find a high point. Once again I couldn’t reconcile the GPS coordinates downloaded from the websites with what I could see. That is, I could see a raised area with a tree that was higher than its surroundings but was 60 feet or more away from the GPS coordinates.

I am curious how, out of the entire Everglades Nat'l Park, it is determined that the high point is here. 'Cause topo maps don't really do any good since the entire area is flat at sea level => there aren't any elevation contours. :?:
01_.JPG
02_.JPG
03_.JPG
04_.JPG
05_.JPG
06_.JPG
07_.JPG
08_.JPG
09_.JPG
10_.JPG
googleEarth_gps_markup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andrewrose
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: FL - Everglades NP HP (Grossman Hammock)

Post by andrewrose » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 am

Pretty neat. I will be in NJ soon visiting family, and it’s the same situation with “peaks” there.

Gary Neben
Site Admin

Re: FL - Everglades NP HP (Grossman Hammock)

Post by Gary Neben » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Janet and I just happened to do the "High Point" of NJ last summer while we were visiting in Manhattan. The area is actually called High Point :D and there's a park at the summit area. There's an old man-made monument that has re-opened and you can climb to the top. It's very neat - you and your family will enjoy it, guaranteed.

The only gotcha is I'm not sure what's open/closed during winter, so call ahead if you can go.